Halestorm/Lita Ford/Dorothy 4/11/16



Take me home tonight I'd do anything for you
Buy a bottle of whiskey
We'll get matching tattoos
Tell me that you love me, oh let me drive your car
We can sit 'till morning light just counting every star
'Cause if there's a hell I'll meet you there
And if there's a heaven they're serving beer
And if you're an angel, boy I must be high
If there's a church, it's rock 'n roll
And if there's a devil, I sold my soul
It's alright whatever we do tonight
'Cause if there's a God, dammit she won't mind
If there's a God, baby she won't mind. 

Lzzy Hale kicked off her band's set by strolling through the audience, crooning those lyrics. Of course I was on an aisle, but she does this on the other side of the theatre. Lame. When Hale made it to the Gillioz Theatre stage and the band launched into "Sick Individual," I was finally able to see her fabulous red leather jacket with fanastic long fringe in all its glory. I die.




The first half of Halestorm's set was heavy on songs from the band's latest album, Into the Wild Life. "Mayhem," "Apocalyptic," and my favorite, "I Like it Heavy" were head banging standouts.









If you're a creepy Lzzy Hale superfan like I am, you know she's struggled with her voice recently. This was the first time I've seen Halestorm since this tumblr post, and holy shit-- whatever Lzzy did to overcome her vocal issues worked. She sounds absolutely amazing. Like, maybe better than ever.



Arejay Hale got his turn in the spotlight and rocked through a huge drum solo that gave my face major smiling fatigue. This guy is so much fun to watch. Bobby Rock, who backed Lita Ford during her set, joined in. I had never heard of Bobby Rock before this show, but he was in a bunch of '80's bands, and is a bad ass drumming machine. (And writer and advocate for veganism. You do you, Bobby Rock.) Apparently Arejay learned to play drums from one of Bobby Rock's instructional videos. Cute.



Older Halestorm songs in the set included "Rock Show," "Mz. Hyde," "Love Bites," And I Get Off."



Halestorm is the second band I've seen this year that has given a big middle finger to the fake encore and just said, "you guys want us to keep playing?" Thank God! Other bands-- please do this! The night closed with "Freak Like Me," "Here's to Us," and "Miss the Misery," followed by a long jam sesh featuring a fiery guitar solo from Joe.


Before Halestorm hit the stage, Lita Ford took us on a leather-clad joyride. Here are the things I knew about Lita Ford before this night: "Kiss Me Deadly," The Runaways, and she was/is apparently a wild and crazy gal.




Now I also know that girl can freaking rock. She's 57! I'll have what she's having. Ford's set was pretty killer- full of upbeat rockers like "The Bitch is Back," "Cherry Bomb," and the aforementioned "Kiss me Deadly," which was so fun to sing along with. The reaction Ford got from the audience rivaled Halestorm's--seriously. I was actually surprised at how completely crazy the audience went for her.


It must be pretty mind-blowing for Lzzy Hale and Dorothy to be on tour with Ford. She, along with The Runaways, really changed things for chicks in rock. Lita Ford is a legend.


I freaked out about Dorothy a few months ago, when this show was announced. The band did not disappoint.


Dorothy's set featured a few songs I've never heard-- and pretty much everything from their EP. "Bang Bang Bang," "After Midnight," and "Wicked Ones" were especially kick ass live. Dorothy has a less aggressive stage presence than Lzzy, but it's still effective. Oh, and she's gorgeous. Like, it hurts how freaking beautiful she is.





















There was plenty of side boob under that torn Iron Maiden shirt she was wearing. I'm in love. The band was great as well-- the guys were fun to watch.


























It was Dorothy's birthday, and even though we sang to her during the band's set, Halestorm brought her out on stage to give her a cake and let us sing "Happy Birthday" again. I started to feel like a TGI Friday's server. If you listen close in the video below, you can hear yours truly saying, "I want some cake." I always want some damn cake.



Then, Dorothy joined Halestorm in a cover of Foghat's "I Just Want to Make Love to You." Which was awesome and super sexy. I don't smoke, but I needed a cigarette after that performance.





Lzzy Hale is so freaking cool. She's a rock goddess, but is honest and accessible. I love the way she talks to her fans. She said several times that a rock show is a religious experience, and, for me, that could not be more true. "Can I get an amen?"


If there's a church, it's rock and roll,
--Mrs. W.

Comments