EP Review/DOROTHY

If you're a Halestorm fan, you may have been pretty pumped to check out the tour dates the band released today. (Spoiler alert: Springfield is a stop!)

Queen badass and former Runaway Lita Ford is on the tour, (you've surely heard Kiss Me Deadly somewhere) as well as Dorothy...a band I was unaware of until today.

Dorothy only has an self titled EP out, so I bought it...hey, it's $3.99 on iTunes. That's cheaper than most Starbucks drinks. And this is art and shit.



You can learn more about Dorothy on the band's Wikipedia page. Yes, apparently their drummer's name is Zac Morris.

What does Dorothy sound like? Imagine Elle King after an all night bender on the Sunset Strip with Jack White, Marilyn Manson, and Ozzy Osbourne. Crunchy, catchy, dirty guitars take the vocal melodies on a crazy ride, as Dorothy belts apocalyptic, dark, party-ready, ass-kicking rock lyrics.

After Midnight kicks off the DOROTHY EP:



"Nothing good comes after midnight/when you play the devil's game." Preach.

Wild Fire follows. I wanna hang with the chick she's singing about in this song.

This is Wicked Ones:



If I had to play one Dorothy song to give someone an idea of the band's sound, this is the one I'd go with.

Gun in My Hand is an insane mix of black country (is black country a thing? It should be a thing) and rock. It's swampy and stompy, fun and dark. 

Bang Bang Bang perfectly follows Gun in My Hand. These two songs flow into each other seamlessly. The storyteller has made the transition from victim ("Why did love put a gun in my hand?") to the one in control. ("My love's gonna drag you down...One shot and you're six feet down...")

But there's more! (Whaaaaat?) Dorothy has released a few more songs since the DOROTHY EP. You've probably heard Raise Hell on a commercial or two:



Missile doesn't stray from the sound in the band's other songs--which is 100% okay with me. Can Missile just somehow play every time I walk into a room? Sweet.

I will definitely be showing up early to Halestorm's show to check out Dorothy. I have high hopes for the band's live swagger. You will too after hearing the band rework Kanye West and Jay-Z's No Church in the Wild into a bluesy jam:



Show some love:
DOROTHY on Facebook
DOROTHY on Twitter

--Mrs. W.

Comments

  1. Oh wow. I'm really digging Dorothy. As soon as read your description had to fire up Spotify. Thanks for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment