Epic night of metal part 2: Lamb of God

Already pumped from Anthrax, the Tuesday night crowd waited while Lamb of God's crew checked drums and guitars. Fans cheered every time a riff rang out on the PA. A stage worker checked Randy's mic with a, "1, 2, 3, 4," and the crowd continued counting. Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" played as house music, and everyone sang along with the chorus.



Lamb of God walked on stage at Kansas City's Midland after buildings falling, bridges exploding, and other chaotic scenes played on video screens on either side of the drum riser.

"Desolation" opened the set. Followed by "512" from the band's most recent album.

From my third row balcony seat, the pit looked pretty terrifying...but part of me wanted to be down there.

This music is powerful and I get wanting to let go and just descend into madness for awhile.





My favorite little moment: early in the night singer Randy Blythe asked, "Can I get a Rick Flair?! Woooo!" Adorable. Metal and old-school wrestling. A combo for the ages.


The production for Lamb of God's show is everything. Since I was not familiar with all the songs the band played, the lighting and video complimenting the music kept my mind from wandering. This elevated the experience for me, especially on "Ruin," which featured religious and cult imagery, and "Now You've Got Something to Die For," dedicated to men and women in the military. Other times video of candles, the band's logo, or other creepy scenes played. The person serving as the brains behind Lamb of God's stage show is brilliant.





"Still Echoes" "Erase This," and "Overlord" from the band's latest album, VII: Sturm Und Drang, show off Blythe's vocal skills--which used to not make sense to me.

After seeing Lamb of God live, I totally get it. Blythe slides between growling, screaming, screeching, and singing. Sometimes all in the same word. It's art. It is music. It's beautiful.






"Walk With Me in Hell" was another killer performance. By both Blythe, and guitar player Mark Morton.



In addition to grasping beauty in not "clean" vocals...I've also learned to find the groove in Lamb of God's music. It's definitely there in the guitars and bass. Yes, they're playing fast and loud, but there are riffs, time changes--it's so interesting and just touches this emotional part of me no other music does. Chris Adler, Lamb of God's drummer...damn. I'm in awe of drummers anyway. I don't understand how they do something different with each limb. And make it sound good. Adler's playing is fast, but not just for the sake of being speedy. It totally drives the songs. I especially noticed this during "Set to Fail."



"Redneck" overwhelmed the theater with one last insane burst of energy. Sweat and sound and voices filled the room, all the way up to the ornate chandeliers and the Midland, and even the beautifully painted ceilings they hang from. Fists in the air everywhere as Randy growled the first line of the chorus.

This show rocked. I still feel kind of like an outsider in the metal fan scene--especially this kind of metal. I would not be into it at all if my husband hadn't taught me to appreciate it. But I'm starting to see that not everyone gets it, and I really, really do now. Especially after this concert. Maybe that's enough to make me belong.



Read my review of the Anthrax portion of the evening.

Rock on..and if you can handle it...rock a little harder. You might like it,
--Mrs. W.

Comments