Alter Bridge in 2016: A fan's perspective

News of the impending Guns N' Roses reunion is getting a reaction other than "OMG!" in a different corner of the Internet.

BILLBOARD: Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible Stadium Tour: Sources

"WE GET MYLES BACK!"

It's the cry from Alter Bridge fanatics and those who worship at the altar of Myles Kennedy. If you're one, you're probably the other.

This is my take on the whole thing. My only "authority" in this area? I follow the rock/metal scene like most people follow sports. Take my rambling for what that's worth.

I love SMKC. Especially the band's first album, Apocalyptic Love. Every time I've seen the guys live, it's been a ridiculously electric rock 'n roll revelation.

Kansas City, July 2014
SMKC is gaining traction in a big way, especially outside America. It would be silly of them to stop.



But while Slash and the guys are indescribably fun and badass, Alter Bridge makes me feel things. AB's music touches my spirit and I can rock out to it.

Some AB fans get all bent out of shape when Myles records or tours with Slash. I do think the Fortress, World on Fire timing wasn't ideal, (more on that later) so I get it. But, it's not like Mark Tremonti and Slash negotiate who gets Myles, like a couple of divorced parents, and Mr. Kennedy has no say in the matter.

At least, I don't think that's how it goes. Myles is doing what he wants.

Until Tuesday night's Jimmy Kimmel Live, we don't know exactly what's happening with G N' R.

What we do know: Mark Tremonti says the band will start working on an album this month, and we'll get to hear "AB V" later this year. And despite what some members of the SMKC camp said last year about working on new music already, if Guns does tour, any Conspirator-ing will likely be put on hold. Meaning more time for AB to tour on its 5th album.

Do I need to make a flow chart?

More time to tour can only be a good thing for Alter Bridge. I don't think Fortress gained them many new fans. That's a shame. It's an absolutely amazing album. There's not one song on Fortress I'd even consider skipping. I feel like the tour and "strike while the iron is hot" push for the late 2013 release didn't have much energy behind it. (remember, Kennedy took an Alter-Break and recorded World on Fire in the middle of 2014)

AB has hardcore fans who would pay to see them perform anything short of a Nickleback cover set. They reached us in 2014. I saw them on that tour three times. But did they make a ton of new fans in the U.S. like they should have after releasing a masterpiece like Fortress?

You can tell it's AB Myles, because his shirt has sleeves.


For AB V, I'd like to see Alter Bridge hit more cities they haven't played ever or in awhile. (*cough* Springfield, Missouri *cough*) If they (or their peeps) aren't already, they should do much more of whatever it is bands do to suck up to radio and get their songs played more. Maybe Alter Bridge needs to tour the U.S. with another well-known act to get more people to give them a chance.

Alter Bridge is so good. They should be one of the top bands in rock, but I find a lot of people have either never heard of them, or haven't given them a chance.  Maybe it's the "they're 3/4 of Creed" thing still following them around?

If you want to be optimistic, Alter Bridge fans are lucky. We pretty much have a constant flow of new music between AB, Myles and Slash, and Mark Tremonti's band. We should just be thankful there are still some awesome dudes making real rock 'n roll left in the world.

I'll end this in the way I plan to end every post until it freaking happens. (not really. But maybe) My real hope is that while Slash is busy with Axl and Duff, Myles Kennedy will have time to release and tour on that damn solo album.

A photo posted by Myles Kennedy (@myleskennedyofficial) on


Myles. Kennedy. Solo. Album.

Please.

--Mrs. W.






Comments