Long Drive Home

Yes, I treat every concert I attend like it's my senior prom.

So this gushing I'm about to do over seeing the Turnpike Troubadours this Friday should surprise no one. The Troubadours are one of my favorite bands. During my year working at a concert venue, they played there twice, both while I was working. It's been way too long since I've sang and--tried to--clap along in time with Long Hot Summer Day.

I have no rhythm. At all.

I'm also stoked for this show because it will be my first time seeing Turnpike perform new songs from the self-titled album the band released in September.

This is one of my favorite songs from Turnpike Troubadours, Long Drive Home.



This song is everything. Melancholy yet catchy. Wistful. Comfortable yet new and exciting.

For some reason, it just brings me to this really emotional place.

Well people anymore, they ain't got no staying power
A love you come by easy, it'll leave you just the same
You want something bad, you gotta bleed a little for it
You gotta look it in the eye, you gotta call it out by name

Lovers they march by, but they ain't like you and I
They all wanna be Hank Williams, they all wanna have to die

And we got a long drive home...and I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if you don't


The last 13 months of my life have completely kicked my ass. Only a few people really understand the journey I've been on. Fewer know where I still want to go. I don't know how I'm going to get there. Something about this song speaks to me...to the part of me that's wiser about how the world works...but still hopeful and determined.

So, yes, while Friday's Turnpike Troubadours show could blush and roll its eyes and tease, "you say that about all the concerts," I really mean it this time. This one is special.

--Mrs. W.









Comments