Random stuff I'm loving OR something to distract you from COVID craziness


I haven't written (for enjoyment and not, you know, to pay my bills) in awhile. I miss it and I'm rusty. Evidence of my more inspired days are here...just scroll on down. You can also check out plenty of my reviews on Rock Documented.

SO. I thought I'd gather my old blogging go-to's: dope tunes, cheap wine, my "crazy art teacher" cozy sweater, and share some music and podcasts that are getting me through this partial society shutdown.



Good Christian Fun- Youth group kids of the mid-90's and early 00's have seen. Some. Shit. There are countless cultural touchstones I hold that I can't share with anyone. Sometimes, I'm really sad no one else wants to rap the first verse of dc Talk's "Luv is a Verb" with me.

I discovered Good Christian Fun recently when another podcaster I follow was a guest. I immediately binged a dozen episodes and am still not tired of Kevin and Caroline's smart, real, and hilarious takes on the cultural phenomenons of my youth.

Reconnecting with the music I loved as been oddly therapeutic. Ya'll, I loved Steven Curtis Chapman so much, 15-year-old me got neon green bands on my braces the month Speechless was released.

Thank you, GCF, for reminding me "The Great Adventure" is still a freaking banger.



If you aren't singing along by the second chorus, are you even a person?

I may not necessarily agree with the theology of these songs at this point in my life, but as someone who connects with music SO much, it's been a cool experience to give myself permission to enjoy the tunes that shaped my teen years.

Fave episodes: Steven Curtis Chapman, Plus One, The Power Team, Point of Grace, and the EPIC four-part "Carmania" series.

Justin & Joe Wrestling Spectacular Show- BIAS, you say? Maybe. Justin, and his cool AF wife Katie are close friends of mine. Even if they weren't, I would still enjoy the heck out of the Justin and Joe Wrestling Spectacular Show.

I don't know Joe at all, so there.

As a new wrestling fan, I can't do the podcasts that are super inside baseball. (mixing sports metaphors? #Brave) JJWSS is entertaining for me, because the guys are reviewing current shows I'm watching. ALSO, they are hilarious! They're SO fun to listen to, have great chemistry, and I love that they don't agree all the time.

Wrestling from a fan's perspective, with some hot takes and rad dad jokes. Get it in your ears, now.

Fave episodes: All are great. I'm a bit partial to episode 3. The JJWSS exhibited some great booking by interviewing a very articulate, adorable gal who had some great opinions about AEW Revolution.

10/10 would download.

Wrestling (AEW + WWE)- The world is, literally, canceled right now. I am kinda sure the only thing keeping me somewhat sane is knowing Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights will still bring some R-A-S-S-L-I-N.

It's really cool to see the new dynamics and subtleties that come out when these performers are doing their thing in an empty arena. I have a new respect for them after seeing their acting chops hold up when there is no crowd to play off of.

Catastrophe can bring creativity, and it's inspiring to see these companies going for it in the face of global uncertainty.

Dangit, if Otis can pump up a crowd that isn't there, I can keep chugging along too!



You're a jerk, Dolph.

Fave moments: John Cena/Bray Wyatt face off at the end of last week's Smackdown, Edge's promo at the beginning of the most recent RAW, pretty much Wednesday's entire AEW Dynamite.

The Many Colored Death-  Just when I was preparing to descend into that mid-30's "NO NEW MUSIC shall enter my ears" phase, this Columbia, Missouri trio made my groovy grunge rock dreams come true.



I was lucky enough to see The Many Colored Death at a recent fundraiser in Springfield, and immediately chastised myself for not knowing about them sooner. They MURDER live, by the way.

Remember concerts? Those were fun.

I think I *hair flip* hit the nail on the head with "groovy grunge rock," but fans of prog will find something to enjoy with MCD too. Smart lyrics woven with catchy hooks, backed by impressive riffs and solos fill the band's most recent release, Okayest. It's an easy listen that keeps things interesting throughout.

Fave songs: "Drown," "Better"

Bones UK- This pop/rock/electronic/whatever duo is Lady Gaga meets Black Sabbath. Their self-titled album is my go-to workout music.

Sexy, smart, irreverent, and fresh--anyone who is looking for something a little different to rock out to should check out Bones UK



Fave songs: "Beautiful is Boring," (video is NSFW🙈) "Limbs"

What is keeping you sane while staying in?



Stay safe | listen to music | move your body | Call your grandma

Mrs. W




Comments